Home Immigration I-821 – Application for Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

I-821 – Application for Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

If you need assistance applying for temporary protected status (TPS), contact an experienced Glendale immigration lawyer. Call (818) 550-1111 for help with your I-821 application.

Glendale Immigration Attorney


Talk to a Glendale Immigration Lawyer About Applying for Temporary Protected Status

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) gives you the legal right to live and work in the U.S. for certain foreign nationals. The status is granted when it is established that it would be difficult or pose a threat to the health and wellbeing of the individual to return to their home country.

When a country is engaged in an armed conflict, experiencing an environmental disaster, or other extraordinary conditions, whether long term or temporary, persons from that country can apply for Temporary protected status by filing Form I-821.


Who Is Eligible for Temporary Protected Status?

If you meet the eligibility conditions, you have the right to seek TPS status, which will allow you to live and work legally in the U.S. The eligibility conditions are:

  • You are a national of a country with a TPS designation.
  • You are stateless but have resided extensively in a country with TPS designation.
  • You have been continuously present in the U.S. since the country was given TPS designation.
  • You have lived in the U.S. continuously since the date given by the Secretary of Homeland Security.
  • You are not barred from admission or asylum in the U.S. due to criminal activities, national security risks, or have been convicted of a felony or two or more misdemeanor crimes.

What Countries Have TPS Designation?

The list of countries can change over time. Currently, the following countries with TPS designations include:

  • Afghanistan
  • Burma (Myanmar)
  • Cameroon
  • El Salvador
  • Ethiopia
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Nepal
  • Nicaragua
  • Somalia
  • South Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Ukraine
  • Venezuela
  • Yemen

To register or re-register for Temporary Protected Status, you must file Form I-821. At the time you file for TPS status, you concurrently request a work permit (employment authorization document) by filing form I-765. Filing these two forms at the same time can speed the process of gaining the right to work in the United States.


Why You Need a Glendale Immigration Lawyer

Filing for TPS status requires extensive supporting documentation, and the form must be free from errors or missing information. You have the right to file Form I-821 without legal assistance. However, many people who are seeking TPS status work with a Glendale immigration lawyer to ensure the process moves forward as swiftly and successfully as possible. An error or missing evidence in your submission can lead to a long delay or a denial. We understand that your time is valuable, that being the case, helping you get the desired results is the objective.

At Aratta Law Firm, we provide legal counsel to those seeking TPS status. Contact us at (818) 550-1111 to find out how we can assist you.