Home Immigration I-90 Application to Extend/ Replace Permanent Resident Card

I-90 Application to Extend/ Replace Permanent Resident Card

Do you need to extend or replace your green card? Contact a skilled Glendale immigration attorney at (818) 550-1111 for assistance with your I-90 application.

Glendale Immigration Lawyer


Speak With a Glendale Immigration Attorney About Extending or Replacing Your Green Card

Your Green Card is your lifeline to living and working legally in the U.S.A. and is generally valid for 10 years. As the expiration date nears, you must file form I-90 to extend your permanent residency status. (Unless you have a 2-year conditional Green Card, in which case a different application/petition must be filed to remove condition of your Green Card.) The renewal process can have a long waiting period, often up to a year, so filing the form in a timely manner is of critical importance. Without a valid Green Card, you will be unable to re-enter the United States, if you had traveled to another country. If you need legal help in preparing and filing the Form I-90, our Glendale immigration attorney at Aratta Law Firm can be contacted at (818) 550-1111.


How To Extend Your Green Card

The renewal process varies, based on whether you are currently in the U.S. or in another country. The following are the steps to renew your card:

  • You must fill in Form I-90 completely and accurately, either online or on a paper form.
  • You are required to present all required supporting documents with your submission.
  • You must pay a fee to renew your Green Card of $455, and some applicants may need to pay $85 for biometrics.
  • The form, along with supporting documents and fees is submitted to USCIS.
  • Once your application is submitted, you will be notified that the agency has received your Green Card renewal called a Notice of Action, which has a receipt number that allows you to track the progress of your renewal.
  • If a biometrics appointment is required, you will be notified of the time, date, and location of the appointment, which you must not miss.

When to File Form I-90 to Extend my Permanent Residency Card?

The process of extending your Green Card must be started long before the expiration date. If you are in the United States, it is vital that you begin the process about six months before your card expires. If you are currently in another country, make plans to file to extend the card as soon as you return. If it has already expired, contact our office to schedule a consultation to discuss your case as soon as possible.


Green Card Renewal Denials

If your request to extend your permanent resident card was denied, you need an immigration lawyer to help you resolve the issue. One of the most common reasons an application is denied is a failure to submit the form correctly. You may choose to work with Aratta Law Firm to ensure your form is filed properly, along with all the necessary supporting documents as required.


Eligibility to Extend a Green Card

The eligibility requirements for extending your LPR (Legal Permanent Resident) card include:

  • Your Green Card expired or will expire within six months.
  • You lost your Green Card, or it has been stolen, damaged, or destroyed.
  • You received your Green Card before reaching age 14 and are now 14.
  • You commuted to the U.S. for your work, and now plan to reside in the country.
  • You have lived in the U.S. and are now shifting to commuter status.
  • Your status was automatically converted to permanent resident status.
  • Your current Green Card needs to be corrected due to wrong information.
  • You hold an older permanent residency document and need a current version.
  • You have legally changed your name or other personal information since your last card was issued.
  • You never received the Green Card USCIS sent to you.

Conditional Permanent Residents

A Conditional Permanent Resident has a Green Card based on being married to a U.S. citizen, a child of a U.S. citizen, or having gained residency status with an investor visa. Conditional Green Cards cannot be extended. It is crucial that you take the correct actions within a 90-day window before the Green Card expiration date, or your card will expire, and you will lose your right to live and work in the United States. Conditional Permanent Residents are given a Green Card with a two-year expiration date, and in order to continue your right to live and work in the U.S., you are required to file an Application to Remove Condition Form I-751, which should be initiated within the 90-day period before your card expires.


Time to Renew Your Green Card? Call Us.

Filling out applications may seem easy but remember that any wrong steps taken would be harmful to your case and your status. For legal assistance to file Form I-90, appeal a denial, or to remove conditions on a 2-year Green Card, connect with a Glendale immigration attorney at Aratta Law Firm today at (818) 550-1111.