Glendale Abdominal Injury Attorneys
If you sustained abdominal injuries in a car accident in Glendale, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries. You will need the help of a Glendale auto accident injury attorney. Call (818) 550-1111 for a free consultation on your case.
Advocating for Glendale Abdominal Injury Victims
The abdominal cavity holds vital organs of the body, including the kidneys, liver, pancreas, intestines, stomach, and bladder. A blow or other injury to the abdomen can cause internal bleeding and serious organ damage. If you or your loved one has sustained abdominal injuries in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, speak with an experienced Glendale personal injury attorney about legal action to recover compensation.
What Are the Common Causes of Abdominal Injuries in Glendale?
The large, exposed area of the abdomen is vulnerable to injury in many types of accidents. Common causes of abdominal injuries include:
- Auto accidents: Designed to restrain our bodies in a crash, seatbelts can place significant strain on the abdominal area. Any type of blunt force trauma to the abdomen in a wreck can cause internal injuries.
- Truck accidents: When an 80,000-pound tractor trailer collides with a much smaller passenger vehicle, it can cause serious injuries to any part of the body, including the abdominal organs.
- Motorcycle accidents: Blunt force trauma is common in motorcycle crashes. Riders can suffer serious injuries to the spleen, the liver, and other organs, as well as hemorrhaging from trauma to the abdomen.
- Bicycle accidents: When a motor vehicle driver hits a cyclist, abdominal trauma may occur during the impact of the collision, when the cyclist hits the ground, or from objects hitting the cyclist’s abdomen.
- Pedestrian accidents: A pedestrian struck by a vehicle may sustain injuries to the liver and other abdominal organs.
What Are the Different Types of Abdominal Injuries?
Injury to the abdomen can occur in different ways. Healthcare providers classify abdominal injuries according to which structure was damaged and how the injury occurred. The following abdominal structures can be injured in an accident, as stated in the Merck Manual:
- Abdominal wall
- Hollow organs (stomach, small intestine, colon, bladder, ureters
- Solid organs (kidneys, liver, pancreas, spleen)
- Blood vessels
There are two possible types of traumatic abdominal injuries:
- Blunt trauma: This type of injury may be caused by impact with an object, a direct blow, or a sudden decrease in speed, as in a motor vehicle crash.
- Penetrating injuries: Examples of penetrating abdominal injuries include gunshots and stabbings. This type of injury occurs when an object penetrates the skin, entering the abdominal cavity.
Abdominal injuries can rupture or sever blood vessels and organs. Blunt trauma may cause blood to collect inside a solid organ or in the wall of a hollow organ, forming a hematoma. When hollow organs are injured, their contents may enter the abdominal cavity, causing irritation and inflammation. Serious abdominal injuries can cause massive bleeding, shock, and death. This is why it is crucial to seek medical care immediately after an accident to obtain proper diagnosis.
Who Can Be Held Liable for Abdominal Injuries?
When accidents are caused by negligence, responsible parties may be held liable for resulting abdominal injuries. For example, if a distracted driver hits a bicyclist, who suffers injury to the abdomen from the bike’s handlebars in the crash, the at-fault driver may be held liable. Our experienced Glendale abdominal injury attorney can investigate your accident to determine fault and liability and secure evidence to support your claim. Common damages in abdominal injury cases include past and future medical expenses, lost income, loss of future earning potential, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Contact Aratta Law Firm at (818) 550-1111 for the skilled legal representation you need. Our diligence and attention to detail result in consistently higher settlements and higher compensation for our clients.