Home Immigration I-485 Adjustment of Status – Green Card Applications

I-485 Adjustment of Status – Green Card Applications

If you need help gaining a green card, call an experienced Glendale immigration lawyer at (818) 550-1111 now for assistance filing a USCIS Form I-485.

Glendale Immigration Attorney


Do You Need Help With the First Step in Gaining a Green Card?

USCIS Form I-485, an “Adjustment of Status Application” must be submitted as the first step in getting a Green Card. Whether you are present in the U.S. or in another country, the process starts with Form I-485. However, that is just the start of a lengthy and complex process. To be granted permanent residency status, you must meet all of the eligibility requirements.

At Aratta Law Firm, we serve immigrants, both in the United States and in other countries with the process of applying for a Green Card. Reach out to us at (818) 550-1111 for assistance from a trusted, experienced immigration attorney.

Aratta Law Firm assisted us with getting a Green Card after 20 years and after receiving a denial of the case. They found the mistakes of the previous lawyers and were able to reapply with corrected documents. They are very knowledgeable and reliable. Thank you Aratta Law Firm Team for your dedication and professionalism!”
– Maya H.

How to Apply for a Green Card

The first step in the application process is to determine whether you meet the eligibility requirements. Many people gain permanent residency status through being sponsored by a family member, employer, or religious organization, while others file for themselves. Each type of petition requires a special form that must be submitted accurately. Our immigration lawyer in Glendale at Aratta Law Firm can manage and assist you with all the details in your case.

The application for a Green Card can be submitted from within the U.S. (adjustment of status) or from another country (consular processing), and the necessary forms and procedures vary, based on the situation. Our firm serves clients from both inside the U.S. and those located in other countries who are seeking permanent residency status.


Green Card Eligibility (Eligibility to Adjust Status inside the U.S.)

The eligibility for permanent resident status requires you meet the criteria in U.S. immigration law, and are in one of the following categories of applicants:

  • Family-based adjustment of status
    You may be eligible to apply for a Green Card within the U.S. (adjustment of status) if you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen, an unmarried child of a U.S. citizen under 21, or the parent of a U.S. citizen who is 21 years old or older. Other eligible relatives include unmarried sons or daughters of U.S. citizens 21 and older, married sons or daughters of U.S. citizens, or a sibling of a citizen at least 21 years old, a spouse of a permanent resident, unmarried child of a lawful permanent resident, an unmarried child of a permanent resident 21 years old or older, a fiancé of a citizen (along with the fiancé’s children), or a widow or widower of a U.S. citizen.
  • Employment-based adjustment of status
    Many professionals are eligible for a Green Card through employment, particularly those with extraordinary professional abilities in the arts, sciences, business, or as an athlete. Outstanding researchers, professors, and multinational managers or executives may be eligible. The second preference category includes those who have advanced degrees, exceptional abilities in the arts, science, or business. The third preference category allows skilled workers, professionals in many fields who have achieved a bachelor’s degree in a U.S. university or equivalent, and unskilled workers. Physicians who agree to work full time in a clinical practice in certain underserved regions for a specific period are also eligible.
  • Special Immigrants
    Religious workers who are coming to the U.S. to work for a non-profit religious organization, who meet other eligibility requirements can seek a Green Card. Juveniles who have been abused, abandoned, or neglected may be eligible. Translators and interpreters from Afghanistan or Iraq who worked for a U.S. government agency, were employed (after March 2003) for at least a year, or Afghans who worked for the U.S. government or the ISAF (International Security Assistance Force).
  • Refugee or Asylee Status
    If you have been granted asylum or admitted to the US as a refugee at least a year ago, you are eligible to apply for a Green Card through adjustment of status.
  • Victims of Human Trafficking or Crime
    Crime victims that hold a T nonimmigrant visa or a U nonimmigrant visa may be eligible to file for I-485 Adjustment of Status.
  • Victims of Abuse
    Under VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) allows abused spouses, children under 21, and parents of U.S. citizens to be eligible for permanent residency status.
  • Other categories
    Several other categories of persons may be eligible to apply for a Green Card, based on the country of origin, the diversity visa lottery, and other criteria. Aratta Law Firm can help you find out if you are eligible under one of these categories, and advise you of the process, the waiting period, and what to expect.
  • Registry
    If you have lived in the U.S. continuously since 1972, you may be eligible to register for a Green Card.

Contact our Glendale immigration lawyer at Aratta Law Firm at (818) 550-1111 today if you are seeking a Green Card and need a lawyer to guide you through the process.