Home Immigration N-565 – Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document

N-565 – Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document

If you have lost, destroyed, or damaged documents, speak with an experienced Glendale immigration attorney. Call (818) 550-1111 to find out about filing a Form N-565 to replace your documents.

Glendale Immigration Lawyer


Talk to a Glendale Immigration Lawyer About Replacing Lost Documents

Form N-565, “Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document” is filed when you need to replace several legal documents: A Declaration of Intention, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or Repatriation Certificate. If your document has been lost, destroyed, or severely damaged, it can be replaced. If you have changed your name, you need to ensure your legal documents reflect that change. Our experienced immigration lawyer at Aratta Law Firm provides legal assistance to help you through the process. Call us for help at (818) 550-1111.


How Long Does It Take to Receive a Replacement Document?

Form N-565 must be submitted correctly, with all supporting documentation, in the right format. Once your form is filed properly, you will receive notification that your application has been received. If your application was filed with errors or missing documents, you will receive a Notice of Action rejecting your application, or a Request for Evidence for the missing items – both of which will lead to a delay. If all information is correct in your application, you should receive your new document within a five to eight-month period, mailed to the address on your form, from USCIS.


Your Passport and Lost Documents

If you plan to travel, you will need a U.S. passport, and if you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, you will need the document for your passport. If you are planning a journey and lack a U.S. passport and have lost your citizenship documents, ensure you file Form N-565 replacement months in advance of any planned travel.


Legal Support for Citizens with Lost, Destroyed, or Damaged Documents

You may need legal assistance to file Form N-565, the Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document. Any failure to fill out the form correctly or failure to provide supporting documentation can lead to delays or denials. When it comes to your legal status in the U.S., you need to ensure you have these documents and keep them in a safe place.


Name Changes

You may need to update your citizenship certificate after a name change. If you have been married, divorced, or changed your name legally, you want your documents to be changed, which requires filing Form N-565.



You will need two color passport photos taken within 30 days as part of your application. If your certificate is mutilated, you will need to include the damaged certificate with your application. If any of your application or documentation is in another language, you need it officially translated and certified as complete and accurate. Ensure you do not submit any documentation in another language without a translation, as it will delay the process.


Incomplete Applications

An incomplete application will lead to a notification from USCIS that requires you to resubmit correctly. Since seeking replacement documents can be a time-sensitive matter, you may choose to engage an immigration attorney to ensure it is submitted correctly, and all required evidence and translations (if needed) are included. In fact, we encourage you to hire legal representation since your time is certainly valuable to you. A delay can cause problems, as you need these documents to prove you are a citizen of the U.S. – which could be necessary if ever stopped by ICE, law enforcement, or when you need a passport.


Requests for Information or Evidence

You may be asked to submit additional documents, or to appear for an interview at their offices. You may be required to provide original documents to the agency. In most cases, the process moves forward as it should, as long as all documentation is provided as required, and the application itself is correctly filled in.

At Aratta Law Firm, our Glendale immigration lawyer can assist you to replace lost, damaged, stolen, or destroyed citizenship, naturalization, or repatriation certificate, or your Declaration of Intention. Call us today at (818) 550-1111 to discuss your immigration matter.