Glendale Underride Truck Accident Attorneys
If you were hurt in an underride collision in Glendale, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries. Contact a Glendale truck accident lawyer at (818) 550-1111 and set up a free consultation.
Advocating for Glendale Underride Truck Accident Victims
Truck underride accidents occur when a car slides partially or completely under the truck or trailer of a big rig. This type of crash can cause catastrophic or fatal injuries to occupants of the smaller vehicle. The first point of contact with the rear or side of the truck is usually the car’s windshield, so safety features such as front and rear crumple zones do not come into play.
When the front end of a car slides under the truck’s trailer, it can shear off the roof entirely, possibly decapitating occupants and crushing the vehicle’s frame. If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a truck underride accident, it is essential to speak with an experienced Glendale truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact Aratta Law Firm at (818) 550-1111 today.
Where Do Underride Truck Accidents Happen?
Underride accidents can occur when a passenger vehicle slides under a truck or trailer in any of three possible locations:
- Rear underrides: A passenger vehicle that rear-ends a large truck or tractor-trailer can slide under the rear of the vehicle. This can happen if the truck driver slows down or stops suddenly, in weather conditions that cause the car to slide, or when a truck is parked on the side of the road in poor lighting or without hazard lights and markers.
- Side underrides: When a car crashes into the side of a truck or trailer (or vice versa), it can slide underneath wholly or partially. Side underride accidents can occur when a truck driver changes lanes or merges onto a highway, colliding with a vehicle traveling in an adjoining lane. They can also happen when a truck is crossing or turning into the path of an oncoming car or making a U-turn in reduced visibility situations.
- Front underrides: In a head-on collision between a truck and a car, the truck can drive over the smaller vehicle, lodging it under the front of the truck. Front underrides can also occur when the truck’s brakes fail or the truck driver is following too closely and rear-ends the vehicle in front.
In many truck underride accidents, the smaller vehicle is entirely flattened or the roof wholly removed. Sedans have a high risk of being severely damaged in underride accidents because of their lower height in relation to a semi-truck’s undercarriage.
What Are the Main Causes of Truck Underride Accidents?
Different factors can contribute to truck underride collisions, many of which involve negligence by truck drivers and the trucking companies that hire them. Common causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Impaired driving
- Poor maintenance of truck brakes
- Unsafe lane changes
- Lack or failure of truck underride guards
- Truck driver failure to use hazard lights and warning markers when parked on the side of the road
What Types of Compensation Are Available for Truck Underride Collisions?
If you have been seriously injured in a Glendale truck underride accident, you may be eligible to file a claim with an insurance company or file a personal injury lawsuit against liable parties in civil court. Damages you may be entitled to claim may include past and future medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of future earning potential, pain and suffering, emotional trauma, mental anguish, and other losses. If you have lost a loved one in an underride crash, you may have a wrongful death claim to seek justice for your loved one and recover compensation for your family.
Our experienced Glendale underride truck accident attorney can advise you of your options under the law. Contact Aratta Law Firm at (818) 550-1111 to schedule a free consultation.